Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

more than one teacher

I'm a substitute teacher and am constantly reminded of the simplicity of kids. To them, the highlight of the day is recess, no one's a stranger and everyone is their best friend. I was watching my class of kindergartners on the playground today and couldn't help but smile as they ran around, free to be as loud as they wanted. Every so often a few would run over to me, wanting to show me something or tattle (if they only knew I don't respond to tattling) and would then go play some more. I feel like there's so much to learn from kids - teaching is a major give and take because with as much as I teach them, they teach me a few things as well. I think being open minded is one of the most important things for a teacher. Not being there to merely cram information into students heads but taking the time to actually listen to them as well. I love the predictable unpredictability - though you have a lesson plan you have no idea what the day actually holds. No day is the same - every day brings with it a new set of circumstances and new chances to learn. It's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment