Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

year in review: music

In just a few days a new year will be upon us. I always like to reflect on the past year, looking at things I wanted to accomplish (and did) and things I didn't do but will work that much harder on for the coming year. I also wanted to reflect on things that have influenced/impacted me this year. Today I'm looking at music. This year I've had the amazing opportunity to not only be introduced to new music this year but I've finally seen people in concert I've listened to for years.

The latter occurred when I went with some friends this summer to see Toby Mac and Chris Tomlin together for their "Hello Tonight" tour. I saw Toby a few years ago when he was a part of Winter Jam but this time not only was I seated much closer (thank you Alicia for the awesome seats) but since it was just him and Chris Tomlin, he had more stage time. It was a very cool concert and the highlight was definitely when he walked past our row and my brother freaked out :-)

Some new-to-me artists I've seen this year are all thanks to Dave Barnes. I've been listening to him for about three years but finally saw him in concert this year (again, thank you Alicia). He often has friends of his with him and I've become fans of all of them. I love Dave because he's so real. Not only is he a great songwriter and singer but he's absolutely hilarious (if you've never been to his comedy show, go). Ben Rector, Drew Holcomb and Steve Moakler are the others I'm just now listening to because of Dave. Ben is just amazing. My favorite song is "Moving Backwards" (which I posted about the other day). I love the fact that the first time I heard it was live. I remember he began singing and I looked at the people I was with, a look of amazement on my face. Drew Holcomb has more of a folksy sound but what I love is that his wife sings with him. Together they are amazing. They sang "Baby It's Cold Outside" (Christmas tour) and I loved it!! Steve Moakler is hard to describe. He has this intenseness (I'm not sure what the right word is) about him. My favorite song of his would have to be "All the Faint Lights."

It's been sooo much fun being introduced to new music this year! We'll see what next year holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment