Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

book review: "shattered" by melody carlson

Cleo Neilson is convinced her mother is overprotective and needs to start living her own instead of invading hers. Cleo is seventeen and looking forward to college next year. She's ready to be on her own and can't understand why her mother refuses to let her grow up. When Cleo and her friend want to go to a concert, her mother is reluctant. Deciding she's old enough to make her own decisions, the girls ride the public bus to the concert. They arrive safely home but Cleo can't ignore the guilt she's feeling. When she wakes to an empty house, Cleo knows something is wrong. She knows something has happened to her mother...and it's her fault.


I wasn't prepared for the heaviness of this book - it was a lot to take in. But Carlson had a way of drawing me in and I wanted to keep reading. I liked how the story is told from Cleo's point of view. I don't think I could've understood her thoughts and feelings unless she was telling the story. Cleo is real. She believes in God and goes to her youth group but she's suddenly faced with a lot of pain. So she tries to deal with it however she can. She has to find God again through it all - though He's been with her the whole time. I want to read the other books in the series now that I've read this one. I enjoyed Carlson's style - a good read.

I received a copy of this book from Glass Road Public Relations and all opionions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment