Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

nail scars

I heard something today that threw what I believe for a loop. I was listening to the radio and they were discussing the book, The Shack by William P. Young. I’ve not read the book but have heard others talk about it and that it raises some interesting questions. One thing that was brought up is that in the story, the character portraying God showed someone the scars from hanging on the cross that she herself had (apparently God is portrayed as a woman, which we know isn't true (I mean, Father God) but that’s beside the point). The woman talking about the book said that if we believe the Trinity is three separate people (yet interrelated at the same time), then that means, since Jesus is also God, God would have those same nail-scarred hands as His Son. The whole point she was making was that even though God is so...everywhere, He's also intensely interested in every aspect of our lives, no matter how mundane.

At first I wanted to argue with that because I never really thought about God having a physical form so how could His hands be pierced? But then I think about in the Bible when it says God is seated on His throne. How can you ‘be seated’ without having a finite shape? Revelation 4:3 talks about God on His throne: “And He Who sat there appeared like [the crystalline brightness of] jasper and [the fiery] sardius, and encircling the throne there was a halo that looked like [a rainbow of] emerald” (Amplified). Reading this, it sounds like God doesn’t have human form but is this kind of ‘thing.’ On the other hand, John 10:30 says "I and the Father are one." Wouldn't that imply in some sort of way that if Jesus has a physical body, God would as well? In order to 'be one,' wouldn't that mean the two must take the same shape? I feel like I’m talking in circles but I think sometimes we need moments like this to force us to go to the Bible and find answers. We don’t need to take for granted what others say as the absolute truth but instead seek the answers for ourselves.

I wanted to end with something a little lighter. I’m in a “happy ending” mood so here’s the American ending to the newest remake of Pride and Prejudice. Please enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I wasn't sure how to wrap my brain around that concept the first time I heard it. (I'm still not sure.) But you bring up a good point about us investigating for ourselves. It's like an investment. You're going to be more tied to the things you've really dug into. And when you can explain on your own why you think the way you do (even if it turns out to be wrong), you do have a stronger commitment to it.

    As for the ligher side -- Amber, you have the best taste in clips! I totally love this movie!

    ReplyDelete