Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

prayer

I was reading my devotional the other day and really liked the particular reading for the day. The book is called "Solo" by Eugene Peterson and all the verses are taken from the the Message translation. I like the Message because I think it just adds something more to the scriptures - making them somehow have more meaning. The passage is a prayer by Solomon as he dedicates the temple he's just built to God. I love the way it describes Solomon's physical condition as he prays - on his knees with arms outstretched (2 Chronicles 6:12-18).
"Then he [Solomon] knelt in full view of the whole congregation, stretched his hands to heaven, and prayed.
God, O God of Israel, there is no god like You in the skies above or on the earth below, who unswervingly keeps covenant with his servants and unfailingly loves them while they sincerely live in obedience to Your way. You kept Your word to David, my father, Your promise. You did exactly what You promised - every detail. The proof is before us today!
Keep it up, God, O God of Israel! Continue to keep the promises You made to David, my father, when You said, "You'll always have a descendant to represent My rule on Israel's throne, on the one condition that your sons are as careful to live obediently in My presence as you have."
O God, God of Israel, let this all happen - confirm and establish it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment