Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

recipe: apple fritters

I attempted a new recipe tonight and though it didn't quite turn out like it was supposed to, I was still pleased. I made Ree Drummond's (Pioneer Woman) apple fritters and you can see her step by step directions by here.

A word of warning though. She said it would make eight servings and mine made waaaaaay more than that so I'm thinking I made my fritters smaller than hers. I think I also chopped my apples into tinier pieces as well but again, for a first attempt I was excited.

What you need:
2 cups All-purpose Flour
½ cups Sugar
2-¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
1-¼ teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
2 whole Large Eggs
¾ cups Whole Milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
2 whole Granny Smith Apples, Peeled And Diced
Powdered Sugar (optional, For Dusting)

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Gently fold dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not overmix.) Fold in apples. Add enough apples to make a very chunky batter. You want the apples to shine though! Heat a couple of inches of canola oil over medium to medium-low heat. When it gets hot, drop a little drop of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately and rises to the top, the oil is ready; if it burns quickly, turn down the heat. Drop teaspoons of batter into the hot oil, six or eight at a time. Sometimes they’ll flip over by themselves; sometimes you have to flip them. Just watch them and make sure they don’t get too brown, but cook them long enough to make sure the batter’s cooked through, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes total. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. With the holidays coming.. this would be a great recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete