Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

learning to breathe

There's a song by Switchfoot called "Learning to Breathe" and it's a little old but whenever I hear it, I always smile and am taken back to the late 90's (good times :-). I looked up the lyrics today (because how many times do we sing along to a song and either stumble through the verses or sing the wrong words?) and it's amazing how much more you can get out of a song when you take the time to stop and listen to the words. I was reading an interview with the lead singer for the group and he was talking about the inspiration for the song. He said, "...this is the spiritual world that we have been called to and the kingdom of the heavens is here. We are learning to breathe in the atmosphere of grace."
Breathing is one of those things that we don't have to think about - it's involuntary. We can go about our day and not have to remind ourselves to breathe. However, sometimes situations occur and we're paralyzed momentarily. We have to consciously tell ourselves to take a deep breath and then let it out (John 14:10 is one of my favorites during these times). I've learned that no matter what, God is never caught off guard and will be with us during these times. Breathe in, breathe out...

I couldn't mention the song without including the video...

1 comment: