Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

speak up!

I got a haircut the other day and have to laugh at the attention I’ve received since then. People who I hardly talk to take the time to say they like the new ‘do I’m sporting. What I find the most funny is when guys tell me they like my hair (since I don’t think of them normally paying attention to such details). All day long I had been debating to either play it safe and go with a trim or walk a little on the daring side and cut off several inches. This was a big decision for me; only I could decide what's right for me. No one else could choose for me what I would do with MY hair - even the hair stylist was only able to do what I asked.

Reese Witherspoon, in the movie "Legally Blonde 2," addresses the members of Congress, relaying a prior hair experience gone awry. She talks about how she was sooo excited to finally have an appointment at THE place to get your hair done. However, she was sorely disappointed due to the fact that the colorist used the wrong color, the shampoo girl used the wrong shampoo for her hair type and the stylist had the nerve to give her a bob…with bangs. Yet though her first visit was also her last visit, she admitted that no one was to blame except herself for the tragedy her hair suffered. She encouraged all those listening to speak up when suffering an injustice; to not sit idly by and do nothing.

It’s our responsibility to ask for and go after what we want; we can’t expect it to be handed to us. It’s our duty, in the words of Elle Woods to “speak up for the land of free gift with purchase.” Speak up!

No comments:

Post a Comment