Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

book review: "sue ellen's girl ain't fat, she just weighs heavy" by shellie rushing tomlinson

Shellie educates her readers on the way of the Southern Belle. She talks about misconceptions and truths. She gives advice on how to communicate with your "Bubba" and makes many references to The Official Southern Belle Doctrine. For those unfamiliar to Southern-isms, Shellie provides definitions to phrases like "six ways to Sunday," "straight running crazy," and "worn slap-out." All through the book, you're taking a trip through the randomness of Shellie's thoughts. There are times when she gets off track (and then promptly returns from the bunny trail) but it's one hilarious ride! She shares thoughts on big hair and botox. She talks about how her daily diet now consists of three grapes and two peanuts to fight off extra pounds. She also shares the truth about menopause and how husbands can survive that time in a woman's life by using three phrases interchangeably (and sometimes even together): "I'm sorry," "I love you," and "have you lost weight?"

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I've not read her previous book but it's going on my "tbr" list. I definitely plan on trying out some of the recipes that are included at the end of each chapter. Being a Southerner myself, I was instantly able to relate to many of the things she talked about. Though it's a thick book, I kept wanting to read and see what she would talk about next. Informative and funny read!


I received a copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity Group and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment