Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

hey batter batter

I recently made the decision to sign-up for a co-ed softball team at my church. I was temporarily forgetting that a) I've never played softball and b) I'm not a big fan of objects coming towards my face (thankfully I was put in the outfield :-). Our first official practice was last night and I was quickly reminded of both the things I failed to recall when signing up. While standing at home plate, bat in hand, eyes focused on the pitcher (and yes, I was picked to bat first), I couldn't help but wonder what on earth possessed me to do this. After a few strikes, a little boy off to the side told me I was swinging too high - indicating that yes, I had just hit rock bottom :-). But the night wasn't all "oh, I wish I wasn't here" - I actually had fun. Several others were just as inexperienced as I so I didn't feel as if I was the weakest link or would be voted off at the next tribal council.

The whole point of the experience is not to be all about winning (though I do enjoy a good victory) but to fellowship (I'm not sure everyone on the team shares the same sentiment :-). It's about laughing with others and not being afraid to strike out (both figuratively and literally). I have no idea what's in store for our first game next week but I know we're going to have a good time and be able to look back and smile.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly. :-) And I've been told we're probably the most happy-go-lucky team in our league. This is gonna be fun. :-D

    (By the way, thanks to your title I now have a certain song from High School Musical 2 stuck in my head. I really appreciate that.)

    ReplyDelete