Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

book review: "call of a coward" by marcia moston

"The problem with promising God you’ll follow Him wherever He leads is that you just might have to go.

I suspect it would be easier if you were certain of His calling - like stepping out the door and seeing the lilac bush on fire and hearing a voice commanding you. But when it's your husband who is delivering the message - well, that leaves a little room for wonder.

At least that's how I felt when my husband rocked my comfortable middle-class afternoon with his belief God was calling us to pack up and move to a Mayan village in Guatemala."

I had tried to review Marcia's book last year through Kregel's program but the opportunity fell through because it was picked up by Thomas Nelson! And then last month Marcia sent me an email, asking if I would still be interested in reviewing her book! She had my info on file from last year and was following up. So I was super excited to have the chance to read this book! 

Though I didn’t leave the country (whereas she went to Guatemala) and it was only for a week (whereas she stayed for six months), I was still able to relate on a very small scale to Marcia's experience. I can’t imagine the thoughts she must’ve had when preparing for the trip (and upon arriving in Guatemala) and I enjoyed her humor sprinkled through the story. She talked about the need to pray for the food: "A blithely spoken, "Lord, bless this food" came to mean a seriously earnest, "Kill it, purify it, and give me the grace to eat it." The whole time Marcia and her family were in Guatemala, she saw how God took care of them. But her faith was also stretched. "The downside of a miracle is the predicament required to precipitate it. That's also the very place where faith grows." It encouraged my own faith to read how God worked in her life.  Marcia is currently working on a second book, Going South - the God of My Mistakes.



You can learn more about the book from Marcia's website.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment