Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

book review: "bread & wine" by shauna niequist

"As a follow up to her two bestselling books, Bittersweet and Cold Tangerines, author and blogger Shauna Niequist returns with the perfect read for those who love food and value the community and connection of family and friends around the table.

Bread and Wine is a collection of essays about family relationships, friendships, and the meals that bring us together. This mix of Anne Lamott and Barefoot Contessa is a funny, honest, and vulnerable spiritual memoir. Bread and amp; Wine is a celebration of food shared, reminding readers of the joy found in a life around the table. It’s about the ways God teaches and nourishes people as they nourish the people around them. It’s about hunger, both physical and otherwise, and the connections between the two.
With wonderful recipes included, from Bacon-Wrapped Dates to Mango Chicken Curry to Blueberry Crisp, readers will be able to recreate the comforting and satisfying meals that come to life in Bread and Wine."
My thoughts: I've been a fan of Shauna's since I read her book Bittersweet. And this book has made me like her even more! Shauna writes with an honesty I don't see often. With each recipe (some I'm super excited to try!), she shares a part of her life - really allowing the reader to connect with her. There really aren't chapters - each recipe is a "chapter." I like books with natural stopping places so I can easily put the book down and come back to it without having to sit for a long time just to read a chapter. This is both a light read and heavy read. Shauna tells about making cookies with her son on Saturday mornings and about her struggle to have a second child. And she talks about the connection she makes between recipes and those moments in her life. I want to have a home like hers someday. A home that I open up to friends and family and we gather around the table, sharing food and life. 
I received a copy of this book from Thomas Nelson for my honest review.  

  post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment