Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

book review: "the butterfly and the violin" by kristy cambron

"Manhattan art dealer Sera James watched her world crumble at the altar two years ago, and her heart is still fragile. Her desire for distraction reignites a passion for a mysterious portrait she first saw as a young girl - a painting of a young violinist with piercing blue eyes. 

In her search for the painting, Sera crosses paths with William Hanover - the grandson of a wealthy California real estate mogul - who may be the key to uncovering the hidden masterpiece. Together Sera and William slowly unravel the story behind the painting's subject: Austrian violinist Adele Von Bron. 

A darling of the Austrian aristocracy of 1942, talented violinist, and daughter to a high-ranking member of the Third Reich, Adele risks everything when she begins smuggling Jews out of Vienna. In a heartbeat, her life of prosperity and privilege dissolves into a world of starvation and barbed wire.

As Sera untangles the secrets behind the painting, she finds beauty in the most unlikely of places: the grim camps of Auschwitz and the inner recesses of her own troubled heart."

It took me a few pages but it wasn't long until I was pulled into both the story of Adele and Vladimir and Sera and William. I liked how Kristy switched back and forth between the two stories even though my heart broke at what Adele suffered through and the harsh reality of Auschwitz. I can't even begin to imagine what the people in the concentration camps endured. I'm not sure of the two couples which love story I enjoyed more. And I especially liked the fact that Adele and Vladimir were able to find each other again! I was surprised by how they ended up together and the connection with William's family - I kept trying to figure that one out myself! And then there was William and Sera. I thought they were cute together. I smiled at them going to the beach and how nervous Sera was and then when William said he came back to see her before leaving New York but Michael showed up - I liked how he pursued William pursued her even when she didn't think he would. And oh my, when he came to Paris for her? My heart melted :) This was a great read with history, romance, excitement and faith. 

You can find out more about the book by clicking here.
I received a copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity for my honest review. 




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment