Pages

Friday, June 8, 2018

book review: "unexpected" by christine caine

Every one of us is guaranteed to experience the unexpected. But when the unpredictable shakes our faith, we hide behind our defenses, trade our hope for fear, and end up living a smaller version of the grand story God wrote for us. Is it possible to not only expect the unexpected, but even embrace it?

Christine Caine will raise your trust in God to new levels so that nothing will knock you off your feet. Through biblical insight and her signature inspirational storytelling, Christine will help you step into the adventurous life God has planned for you - unknowns and all. Using dramatic examples from her own journey, Christine offers real-life strategies to help you move from fear and worry to hope and trust in God. She will walk with you through dealing with the betrayal and the disappointment of ruined plans, give practical steps to uprooting the anxiety embedded in your response to the unknown, show you how to strengthen your faith resilience through God's Word, and inspire you to live in hopeful anticipation of God's goodness.

I'm such a fan of Christine Caine! I love when I come across books at just the right time. And this book was just what I needed! Christine shares how she's had to fight against fear despite the doctor's report and refuse to not trust God. She shares stories from others of how they faced the unexpected and how God was with them. This is a book to build your faith and deepen your trust in God. Christine shares so many great things in her book. Some of my favorites:
- "We cannot shrink back in fear and go forward in faith at the same time. We cannot settle for our less and pursue his more at the same time. It's just not possible."
- "If I focus on God more than the unexpected circumstances, then it is God who will be bigger in my heart and mind, and peace will be my outcome."
- "I believe God wants to teach us practical ways to trust Him more in our everyday lives so that we won't live holding back. But, to be freed from this kind of fear, we will have to let Him lead us one growth step at a time." I am a teacher and last year God gave me a theme for the year and has given me a theme for the upcoming school year. It's a theme about growth and thriving where I'm at. I've been the type of person who doesn't like change. I like the predictable. But God has been showing me that change is the opportunity for growth.
- "I believe with all my heart that it's possible for every Christian to learn how to live with a faith so confident in God, it's can't be shaken - even when the ground underneath is giving way. That's what Abraham did. God extended to him the same invitation he extends to us - to trust with all his heart - and Abraham said yes, even though he had no idea where his yes would lead." I think this might be my top favorite. We never know how God will use our obedience to take us on the greatest adventures but we have to say yes. 

I received a copy of this book from Icon Media Group for my honest review.

2 comments: