Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

sway, clap, sing (repeat)

One of my goals for this year is to boldly say yes to whatever opportunities God might place before me. I don't want to miss out on anything that could result from obeying by deciding to play it safe and promise myself that I'll say yes "next time." I was tested in this decision Sunday morning when one of the guys in the choir tracked me down, declaring there had been a "state of emergency" issued and all those in the choir were to find someone to sing that morning as well. Apparently the majority of those that usually grace the stage were sick, leaving lots of empty spaces - thus the "state of emergency." My first instinct was to say no but I couldn't ignore what I'd set out to do this year...so I agreed. To say I only wanted to blend in would be hard to believe since almost everyone had on black and me? Yes, I was wearing pink.

Walking on stage, I was a little nervous, wondering what on earth I'd agreed to. Backstage, the choir director prayed and made some reference to helping those who were stepping out of their comfort zone. The girl beside me and I both started snickering since he was, without knowledge, referring to us. As we shuffled around in the choir loft, making room for everyone, it was cool to see the congregation from a different perspective. Once the music started, I had to try to juggle swaying, clapping and singing all at the same time (not as easy to do when you're not used to having lights and eyes on you). But it was a good experience. Will I do it again? I'm not sure but I don't think it's completely out of the question.

Let me wrap up the story by saying that yesterday I received a call from a school I had applied to substitute teach at. Is there a connection to me singing in the choir and the phone call? I don't think it was a coincidence. I think it might just be a little surprise, if you will, for saying yes to God.

2 comments:

  1. carly, i want to quote one of my favorite movies, a cinderella story: "never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." i think if we say yes over and over, it'll become easier each time until we just do it - no hesitancy involved. but there also has to be a balance so, like you said, you're not saying yes to EVERYTHING and are exhausted. there has to be some middle ground. and don't worry, there's still plenty of room on the band wagon so climb on up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that was a good experience for you! I meant to ask you all how you felt -- I know it's not easy to jump in and do something that's so opposite from what you normally do, but I was so glad that you did!

    The "yes" thing -- yeah, it's pretty difficult. Even when people assume you're one of those people who are always obliging, I find it pretty difficult to say yes. And to look forward to the things I've said yes to. I guess that's the concept I'm working on this year -- being positive about the opportunities of the year, and even being positive about any potential opportunities. "Yes" means excitement is coming!

    ReplyDelete