Pages

Friday, September 19, 2008

fine print

Have you ever panicked over a situation only to realize you overlooked something or just hadn't been given the latest update? I was just looking over the syllabus for my very last class in my graduate program (I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief right now) and wanted to cry when realizing there are nine pages of assignments with at least five or more activities on each one. It was then I flipped to the page with guidelines (that I had completely overlooked the first time) and read that I only have to choose one activity from each page, giving me nine to complete instead of…well, a lot more than nine. Though this is just one example, I tend to do this a lot. Either I'll make a judgment before getting all the facts and then feel lower than dirt when I realize how quick I was to react or I'll say something before thinking it through (because I'm usually in the moment and will say the first thing that pops into my head - not always a good idea) and have the need to put my foot in my mouth (which does not taste very good). I don't take the time to read the fine print, if you will, and get all the facts before jumping to conclusions. This can also apply to our walk with God. When it seems to us that God is hesitating in answering our prayers, we revert to throwing a temper tantrum, complete with foot stomping. We may utter things such as, "God, don't You hear me? Where are You?" or "In Your word it says to ask whatever we desire in Your name so why haven't You answered me?" We neglect to read the fine print. We can't understand why in the world He wouldn't answer us the second He hears our prayers. Don't we know more than God? Um….no. Learning God's timing truly is perfect is a hard lesson because it usually involves experiencing waiting in order to fully grasp the concept. Ultimately it comes down to trusting that God knows what He's doing (I mean, He is God) and follow Psalms 16:9 which says, "rest in hope." Is leaving things with God easy? Yeah, that'd be a big no. But who better to leave them with than the One who cares the most about you? That's what I thought.

My side of laughter for today is some more fun things to do in the workplace:
~ Don't use any punctuation.
~ Send e-mail to the rest of the company to tell them what you're doing. For example, "If anyone needs me, I'll be in the bathroom, in Stall #3."
~ Adjust the tint on your monitor so that the brightness level lights up the entire work area. Insist to others that you like it that way.
~ Move your desk into the elevator and ask anyone that comes in if they have an appointment.
~ Change your accent every three minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment