Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

i'll be happy when...

I was cleaning out my email and found this draft I had written back in March. I don't think I ever posted it but if I did, it's a lesson that deserves a second reading :-)

I've been thinking about something lately that I can't quite remember where I heard it that caused me to begin thinking about it. It's the whole idea of life being a journey and not looking so much to the next destination but enjoying the time in between as well. For me, I have a hard time not getting caught up in the whole "when I ______ then I'll be happy." There's nothing wrong with looking forward to those moments but we can't allow our happiness to solely rely on them. If so, we're only going to be happy during those times and what happens to the rest of our lives? If you've yet to notice, a lot of our time is spent waiting - or at least that's how I feel.

There's a saying that I first thought was really cool but at the same time, gives the wrong impression: "life isn't about the moments we breathe but about the moments that take our breath away." No, it really isn't. While those moments are great and should be cherished, life is about the everyday things. It's about driving home from work, windows down, music playing and the sun shining. It's about hanging out with friends and laughing so hard you're crying. It's about enjoying each and every day as the gift it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment