Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

book review: "a lasting impression" by tamera alexander

About the book: "Claire Laurent's greatest aspiration is to paint something that will bring her acclaim. Yet her father insists she work as a copyist. A forger. When she's forced to flee from New Orleans to Nashville only a year after the War Between the States has ended, her path collides with attorney Sutton Monroe. She considers him a godsend for not turning her in to the authorities. But after he later refuses to come to her aid, Claire fears she's sorely misjudged the man. Finding herself among the elite of Nashville's society, Claire believes her dream to create a lasting impression in the world of art is within reach--but only if her fraudulent past remains hidden.

The Federal Army has destroyed Sutton's home and confiscated his land, and threatens to destroy his family's honor. His determination to reclaim what belongs to him and to right a grievous wrong reveals a truth that may cost him more than he ever imagined--as well as the woman he loves.

Set at Nashville's historic Belmont Mansion, a stunning antebellum manor built by Mrs. Adelicia Acklen, A Lasting Impression is a sweeping love story about a nation mending after war, the redemption of those wounded, and the courage of a man and woman to see themselves--and each other--for who they truly are."

I really liked this book! This is the first book I've read by Tamara Alexander and I enjoyed the story. It was a bit of a longer read than most books but it all came together to tell the story of Claire and Sutton. I liked them as a couple but I also liked the character of Sutton. I laughed out loud when he told Claire she could call him Willister whenever she didn't expect a response and then stuck to that. The banter between them was fun to read as well. I'll admit I couldn't help but "aww" when he asked if she'd forgotten about her next appointment and it was a picnic lunch with him. I also liked the story taking place in the South - since that's my home. It was just an overall really good read and I will definitely be adding Tamara's other books to my ever growing "to read" list.

You can learn more about Tamera from her blog and website.

I received a copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity Group for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment