Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

book review: "letters to a young youth pastor" by calvin miller

About the book: "Letters to a Young Pastor offers every young pastor an invaluable mentor with a heart for sharing his hard-won insights with those who enjoy the victories and carry the burdens of the pastorate. Dr. Miller’s appeal to young pastors lies not in his overwhelming successes, but simply in the fact that he’s been there and done that. As Dr. Miller says, “The all-time great reason that you should listen to me is that much of what I write about in this book is written from the edge. Ministry is not for sissies, and the requirement of the tough times brings us to the edge of our commitment.”

One of the reasons I wanted to read this book is because I work in youth ministry at my church. Even though I'm not a pastor I thought I could still learn from the book. I liked the way it was broken down into different topics - some serious and some humorous. I think one of my favorites was Letter 25: Grumpy Homiletics. He talks about the same child having to go to the bathroom every Sunday: "Not children randomly going to the bathroom. The same child week after week! Slamming the door as if to punctuate her Fifth Amendment rights to protest your freedom of speech. Her parents always sat there smiling, never correcting her, always dressing her in Easter frillery so her performance would be tasteful...You can't actually see any more than her little back when she exits, but I always imagined that on her face was a grin that would chill the nerve of a Vatican exorcist." Overall a good read!

I received a copy of this book from The B&B Media Group for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment