Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

jump

Sometimes in life you just have to close your eyes and jump. I had a "jump" moment earlier today, thus sparking a blog post. My ultimate career goal is to be a teacher so I'm subbing as a way to get my foot in the door. The hard part of this is the aspect that I'm walking into a classroom, not knowing what grade I'll be with (though I can now do a little legwork to find that out in advance) or any background knowledge of these kids. Each day is a "first day" for me until I become familiar with the school, teachers and students. A big part of me wants to cling to what I know, only wanting to work in schools that I've been to before because it's comfortable. The other part of me knows I need to step out and establish as many connections as I possibly can so my name is out there when hiring time comes in the spring. It's all a matter of deciding to just jump. Back in the summer, my youth group went to a local pool for a fellowship evening. No sermon, no small groups - just hanging out. I had a sudden surge of boldness and wanted to go off the high dive. One of the teens went with me and I watched her gracefully splash into the water. Then it was my turn. I realized about halfway up the ladder just how high this really was. Reaching the top, I looked out and then down. It seemed like a very long way down. If I had continued to stand there, thinking about how far I would soon be falling, I might've chickened out. Instead, I took a deep breath and jumped. It was a surreal feeling because I remember that it felt like I kept falling and falling before I met the water. Coming up for air moments later, I swam to the side and climbed out. Was I glad I had jumped? Yes. Would I do it again? Probably not :-) But I jumped - I didn't let anything keep me from taking that leap and that's something I want to apply to my life in order to enjoy this one shot I have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment