Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

simple things

I think I've blogged about this before but I'm really trying to make an effort to find delight in the simple things. To not be so rushed going to work or running errands that I miss out on enjoying the feel of the sunshine or spotting that cute rabbit before it scampers off into the bushes (which for some reason gives me a "Bambi" flashback). I don't want to be so goal-focused that I forget to live in the now. What's prodded this is a little boy I met yesterday. I was filling in for a resource teacher and he was the last student of my day. He's in third grade and is autistic. After he finished his work he got on the computer (the teacher warned me he would go to the same site he always goes to...which he did) and printed off a picture of a Power Ranger (taking a bunny trail which makes reference to the Bambi comment I made a few lines ago...anywho, I remember the original Power Rangers and yes the fight scenes were unbelievably cheesy but man, you gotta love the classics :-). He then found some blank paper and proceeded to draw his own "armor" like one of the Power Ranger vehicles. He then taped the paper to his clothes, including paper "wings" on his back and then went back to class. I smiled as he left, being reminded again of how amazing an imagination is. I recently read somewhere that the toys kids have today don't require any imagination. The toys make all the sounds, not allowing the kids to come up with their own - as a result, they become bored with them. So here's my challenge for any who may read this: find ways to use your imagination. Remember what it was like to be a kid...

No comments:

Post a Comment