Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

book review: "the chocolate diaries" by karen scalf linamen


"Karen Linamen dishes up a satisfying blend of moxie and mocha, sharing stories from dozens of women who reveal savvy strategies for embracing a sweeter life - even while traveling rocky roads. If you're hungry for more joy, reasons to laugh again, ideas to help you heal, and reliable hope leading to a sweeter future, this journey will leave you satisfied."

The title is what grabbed my attention - being a lover of chocolate and all. I thought the chocolate recipes at the end of each chapter were definitely inspiring. The book was an overall good read though I had it in my mind it would be a little more uplifting than it was. All of the stories were encouraging but I just felt the mood was a little less positive than I would have liked. The story that stood out to me the most was about Karen's friend who made a habit of paying for the people behind her in the drive-thru line. I've done this a few times and have made it a goal of doing it more this year and the feeling is absolutely amazing! Just wondering what's running through the other person's mind? It's a rare thing to have a complete stranger pay for your food. I liked how short each chapter was (about ten pages), making it easy to read a few chapters in a sitting.

I received a copy of this book from Waterbrook Press for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment