Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

book review: "adventures under the mango tree" by lillian ann klepp

"'Sell all you have and give it to the poor," He said. Acting in faith and with a heavy burden for orphans, author Lillian Klepp and her husband, Dennis, sold everything they had and moved to war-torn Yei, Sudan. There they opened Harvesters Orphanage and Christian School in a place ranked worst in the world for women and children's well-being. Together, in the midst of a civil war, they battle chronic malnutrition, poor schooling, cancer, malaria, and poverty.

Adventures Under the Mango Tree is Lillian's journal of touching stories with heartwarming photographs of the precious orphans they help, the dedicated people who love them, and the often life-threatening struggles they face together."

I liked this book! I liked the short chapters...though I found myself wanting to keep reading after I would finish a chapter! As I'm preparing for a missions trip next month, I was drawn to Lillian's story. I can't begin to imagine what Lillian must have been thinking as they moved to Sudan. "Once we got to Yei, we had to stop and get official documents that allowed us to be there. When we went into the documents office, one of the soldiers asked me, "What are you doing here?" I told him I had heard all about the orphaned children and wanted to see if we could help. With tears in his eyes he said, "Preach the light to my people." Lillian recounts story after story of how God protected and provided for both her and her husband. God brought them people to work alongside them and help them in their vision to make a difference in Sudan. It strengthens my faith to read of Lillian's faith and her firm belief in God and His plans for her. I like what she says in one of the final paragraphs: "As I reflect on our time in South Sudan,  can see that God has taught me so many amazing things, especially how to trust Him. Who would have ever thought Harvesters would be what it is today? It's funny to think how in the past I thought about our limitations and how we wouldn't accomplish what has been achieved, but God is limitless. He has taught me not to plan around what I think Harvesters can afford, but rather around what He has put in my heart, and to let Him provide for it. It is true that He who calls us will equip us. In fact, if our vision is small enough that we can provide for it, it probably is not God's vision. And I know I would not want any other life than the one to which God has called me." 

I received a copy of this book from The B & B Media Group for my honest review.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment