Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

book review: "somebody like you" by beth k. vogt

"Haley's three-year marriage to Sam, an army medic, ends tragically when he's killed in Afghanistan. Her attempts to create a new life for herself are ambushed when she arrives home one evening - and finds her husband waiting for her. Did the military make an unimaginable mistake when they told her Sam was killed?

Too late to make things right with his estranged twin brother, Stephen discovers Sam never told Haley about him. As Haley and Stephen navigate their fragile relationship, they are inexorably drawn to each other. How can they honor the memory of a man whose death brought them together - and whose ghost could drive them apart?

Somebody Like You is a beautifully rendered, affecting novel, reminding us that while we can't change the past, we have the choice to change the future and start anew."

I could not put this book down! As soon as I started reading it, I was pulled into the story, wanting to know what happened next! Beth did a great job of writing a story that's serious but also funny and an overall good read. One of my favorite scenes was when Haley's water broke and she was yelling for Stephen. It took her using his full name before he finally heard her and came running up the steps: "A quick pounding of footsteps preceded Stephen's appearance. "Did you just use all three of my names?"' I laughed out loud just picturing it! I really liked Haley and Stephen together - even though it took them a while to finally be willing to risk their hearts. They fell in love without realizing it and so many of Stephen's actions were because he cared for Haley, making them sweet. Like the way he slept in his car with the baby monitor so he'd hear Kit if she woke up or when he brought Haley flowers. Oh, I want a guy like that! I haven't read any of Beth's other books but I'm adding them to my "to read" list!

I received a copy of this book for my honest review.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment