Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

belly buttons

Ok, since the video I included yesterday was titled "Belly Buttons" that got me to thinking. What are belly buttons for? What purpose do they serve? My findings have turned out to be quite interesting. Belly buttons serve as the means to which babies in the womb receive nourishment via the umbilical cord. That cord is the lifeline between mother and child and the belly button is a reminder of that. Once a baby is born, the umbilical cord is cut; a little piece is left that will eventually fall off. When this piece does fall off, it leaves a tiny scar, otherwise known as a belly button. I was unable to find a logical reason for the whole innie versus outtie debate although I did read that innies are more common and only about 10% of people have outties.

I then wondered about Adam and Eve. Since neither was physically born, did they have belly buttons? Apparently they didn't because that would imply something not true and God's not a liar. I found an interesting explanation of Adam and Eve's lack of belly button. "Lack of a belly-button on Adam and Eve would be one of the biggest tourist attractions in the pre-Flood world, as the grandchildren and the great-grandchildren would come up and say, "Why don't you have a belly-button?" And they could recount again and again, to generation after generation, how God had created them special by completed supernatural acts, and yet had designed them to multiply and fill the Earth in natural ways that are equally a part of God's continuing care for what He created." I have to wonder if they freaked out when Cain and Abel were born and both had belly buttons while they didn't. I think it's so cool the extent God goes to in order to show His greatness. He cares so much about us, down to our belly button.

My side of laughter today is some letters written to God by kids. These will surely put a smile on your face.
~ Dear God – did you mean for the giraffe to look like that or was it an accident?
~ Dear God – in Bible times, did they really talk that fancy?
~ Dear God – if You watch in church on Sunday, I'll show you my new shoes.
~ Dear God – are You really invisible or is that just a trick?
~ Dear God – I went to this wedding and they kissed right in church. Is that ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment