Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

trendsday: december 1

Today is special for many reasons. It's the first day of the last month of the year bringing us that much closer to Christmas (I've yet to start my shopping) and 2011. Today is someone's birthday (including Woody Allen and Lou Rawls) and there's some historical significance to the day as well but the one thing that I found really interesting is that in 1982 at the University of Utah, a dentist named Barney Clark becomes the first person to receive a permanent artificial heart, prolonging his life for another 112 days. This may not grab your attention but my dad underwent heart surgery a few months ago and it's eerily fascinating how they're able to "rewire" the heart.

Today also marks my wishing a "Merry Christmas" to the cashier/server when going to the store or anywhere else. The window for such a greeting is so small when compared to the rest of the year (I guess you could tell someone "Merry Christmas" in June but it just wouldn't be the same) so I want to take advantage of it. And that reminds me, I need to find my jingle bell necklace :-)
Wanna join in on Trendsday? Click here for more info.

2 comments:

  1. What a friendly comfortable feeling this post leaves with me. While I don't wear jingle-bell necklaces, I do enjoy Christmas, when smiles and greetings are more abundant and friendly, and people don't look shocked when you say, "Hi!" even though they're strangers.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing something so personal like this. It's amazing how certain (small) observations on a calendar can mean so much to us.

    Sorry for taking so long to follow-up on this [wendesday trendsday] post! Thanks for contributing!

    ReplyDelete